View Single Post
Old 11-03-2009, 10:07 PM   #29 (permalink)
jamesqf
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckm View Post
Where DOES this 2 hour figure come from anyway? If it is from Sahlins' Notes on the Original Affluent Society, you ought to know that the studies he relied on weren't exactly exhaustive, limited in both scope and duration.
I don't really know. I've seen the figure in various articles, but I don't make a .bib file for my casual reading :-) But there are other accounts of the life of e.g. the various Plains Indian tribes, or the California ones, which certainly support the idea that it wasn't exactly a hand-to-mouth existence.

Quote:
So, anyway, I still think Hansen's figure of 350ppm is not well grounded in scientific fact. I also think his citing 280ppm as "normal" is lacking in context.
I have to agree on the 350 ppm figure, but from the opposite direction. Though it might be tolerable, t's probably too high to allow for a pleasant climate. I'm for 280 at a max - but then I think an ice age might well be an improvement on present conditions. FTM I'd even like to go back to conditions in the late '70s & early '80s, when ski season usually started in October. Some of the immigrants (I regard Californians as immigrants) have complained about this year being cold, but I was out cutting firewood at about 7500 ft yesterday, in a T-shirt.