View Single Post
Old 11-03-2009, 10:50 PM   #7 (permalink)
1.5Ldave
econ00b

green car - '91 honda civic hb dx
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Mechanic View Post
Current fines for disabling emission components (Federal) are $2500 for individuals and $10,000 for businesses.

That could be for each offense.

Your choice, but I would really be hesitant about posting any info about intentionally disabling emission components on a public forum.

Not "jumping on you" at all.

They say a "word to the wise".

regards
Mech
I dont live in a place that particularly cares about federal emissions regulations. As long as it passes the tailpipe test its good to go. I need to get a new cat before next emissions anyway since the one in it is dead. So Ill get 2 printouts, first one with the current dead cat thats getting gutted, second with a brand new cat for comparisons sake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christ View Post
The "Volcano" argument sounds, to me, a lot like the following:

I'm going to kill someone.

I'm only going to kill one person, and even though it's illegal, I don't believe in all that morality crap.

Jack the Ripper killed lots more people, he's one upped me from the get-go.

My one kill is going to be meaningless, because Jack the Ripper is a worse problem.

Does that seem about accurate?
Right, because killing people is right along the same line as putting such a ridiculously small amount of gasses into the air that the planet produces far more of than we ever could....

Along that line of thinking we might as well just ditch all industrial technology that produces any sort of pollution whatsoever, so we can make a unnoticeable difference in "global warming" and save everyone from nothing? Seem about accurate?

Changing the exhaust out is way down the road for me because I want to quantify if there are any mpg gains to be had from changing to a mandrel straight through catless setup from the cat, baffled muffler crush bent exhaust. If there is no justifiable gain I obviously will put the cat back on, its easier to leave it on than change it for emissions every time.

I also plan on changing the quench properties of the head, increase compression (depending on how good I do on the head possibly 13:1) along with a few other tricks to increase the volumetric efficiency of the engine.

And to the person that assumed no cat makes it sound like crap, thats simply not the case. As long as there is a resonator in its place there will be virtually no change in exhaust sound. Thats the ghetto ebay exhausts that make a car sound like crap. A properly tuned exhaust setup will produce a normal note, as loud or quiet as you want with a longer or shorter muffler. The raspy crappy sound is from an exhaust too big for the flow it produces, usually paired with a muffler far too big. Which typically results in lost power and efficiency.

I want to see how far I can push this project in producing both power and economy. My goals are on track right now to reach 150 hp and 60 mpg. It should provide for a quick and fun, yet economical ride.

Im just glad I live in arizona, Ill never give up my 2 strokes and my 1960 biscayne has no emissions regulations at all since its registered as a historic vehicle. Its a hybrid too, it burns gas and rubber