Thread: civic splitter
View Single Post
Old 11-03-2009, 11:26 PM   #12 (permalink)
Christ
Moderate your Moderation.

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by equation112 View Post
I beg to differ... wing efficiency has a great deal to do with the relationship between lift and drag. I am not saying that you can avoid drag when producing lift, but that some wings are able to produce far more lift for a given amount of drag than others.
So you just admitted that there was no point in the interjection, right? I mean, IN REAL LIFE, in all situations, inducing any kind of aerodynamic lift, positive or negative, still induces drag, regardless of the relationship between them, as I stated before.

I'm sure in some abstract formula, you can design a shape on paper that will induce lift without any drag penalty at all. Hell, people have designed shapes that (on paper) can use pressure drag to propel a vehicle!

When you put it in real life situations, it degrades quickly...

Bernoulli went so far as to dictate that shape could induce lift based on air speed, and even elaborate that a shape could alter that lift based on flow principles.

Schools still teach Bernoulli's principle as the "end all be all" of wing lift, which is why I asked Hermie that question.

(On another topic - Did Bernoulli actually get "laws" status? Last I knew, it was a series of principles governing the application of shape-induced lift via the laws of fluid dynamics.)