View Single Post
Old 11-04-2009, 12:02 AM   #11 (permalink)
1.5Ldave
econ00b

green car - '91 honda civic hb dx
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwtaylorpdx View Post
It also depends on which gas you believe is worse, C02, CO, SulfurDioxide....

They all have bad effects... Pick your poison.

Matrix Full metal cats actually help exhaust flow at street speeds.
They make the exhaust laminar in the pipe, flows better.

Cats don't last on race cars, the sustained exhaust flow at race RPM melts them.

Dave
Lets agree to disagree on global warming and the usefulness of emissions regulations. Id rather talk about our cars. My main goal is to prove that a high efficiency car doesnt have to be way under powered or a hybrid.

I hadnt heard of those matrix full metal cats before, thanks for the info. Far too expensive for my testing purposes though. Changing the exhaust out for a few tanks of A-B-A testing will suit my needs. To be honest, at the speeds I drive normally I doubt even a regular ceramic core cat hinders flow much. But Im going to test it and find out for sure.

Regardless of the cat findings, I will be keeping the mandrel exhaust and straight through 22" muffler in the stock location, so its a win-win. I like things done right, and crush bent is junk.

For now my main focus is getting the header on and retuning it. With the cam 5 degrees advanced its got a whole lot more torque down low. It feels like a vw engine almost. With the header and retune Im expecting another 1-2 mpg, hoping for a bit more than that since its running a bit rich right now.

I was looking at these bumper spoilers from a prius and it got me to thinking of picking them up for some experiments. Check em out:

04-08 TOYOTA PRIUS OEM LEFT RIGHT REAR BUMPER SPOILERS:eBay Motors (item 400077954374 end time Nov-07-09 20:30:34 PST)