View Single Post
Old 11-05-2009, 08:46 PM   #6 (permalink)
Christ
Moderate your Moderation.

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
Obviously, you have gremlins in your valve cover, and they've boogered your Kneuter valve. It's a very expensive repair, as it involves pressing out muffler bearings, and keeping the Turbo Encabulator... well, Encabulated. Of course, because you have a Hyundai, you'll need to take it to a specially trained and licensed dealer than can understand and deal with Chrysler/Mitsubishi parts and procedures, or you risk further damage due to shoddy workmanship and inferior part quality.

/sarcasm

Dude, that's a messed up filter. It's weird, though... there is never suction against an oil filter. Oil is routed from pan to pickup to pump to filter to engine, then drained back into pan by further pressurizing the oil supply. The filter should always be under pressure, which is how the bypass valves operate, as a matter of fact.

The bypass valves don't operate at a set pressure, either. They're only open if the pressure differential across the filter media exceeds a certain value, so there is no way to tell with an oil pressure gauge when the bypass valve is open.

I'd cut that puppy open and inspect for further damage to the filter, or maybe a cause.

I can dent oil filter cans with my fingers, without too much effort... I probably could even do that much damage off the vehicle... it really looks like someone reefed on it with a strap wrench, and that's what caused it.