View Single Post
Old 11-06-2009, 05:27 PM   #9 (permalink)
Hermie
Banned

Stickers - '91 Ford Tempo GL
Send a message via AIM to Hermie Send a message via MSN to Hermie Send a message via Yahoo to Hermie
I'm shooting for 30mpg in my '91 Ford Tempo. I started in the low 20's, which didn't seem right to me.

Quote:
Building something that is 'flush' but open around the cats. maybe a 1/4 to 1/2 inch gap between the pan and the cat.
That sounds like a good idea. If you're going to use coroplast (material for plastic political campaign signs), you're most likely going to need some kind of metal as a heat shield around the cats with some kind of insulation between metal and plastic. With the right tools, it can be done. I'm working with bare minimum.. All my tools are back in California, and I'm up in Oregon for college, and I'm working on a shoestring budget.

I'm also considering using screen material, but it would have to be the aluminum type, not the black kind. Aluminum can withstand the heat of exhaust pipes. I'll probably roll some paint or some kind of filler on the screen to smooth it out, leaving around the pipes open for the heat.

Looks are just as important as results to me with this. If it looks like something that rolled out of a junkyard, I'm not going to do it.