View Single Post
Old 11-06-2009, 09:43 PM   #1 (permalink)
ProtractedSilence
EcoModding Lurker

Camry - '03 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 30.02 mpg (US)
Help with DIY electric system and hybrid ideas

This is one of my first posts on here if not the first. I've got some ideas for some gas-saving electric mods for any car. I would love comments, critique, direction or directing towards threads that address any of these ideas. The ideas build on each other.

1. Alternator deactivation
- install a 3 mode switch
o Normal
o On only when accelerating (otherwise coil deactivated with relay), unless V drops below threshold (microcontroller required - PIC, handyboard or even Lego) – activated by switch installed on top of throttle pedal.
o Off (requires voltage monitoring - microcontroller)

2. Add electric motor to drive system by integrating with belt system or direct to driveshaft (DC from forklift? AC induction? Recommendations? I would love to have an Switched Reluctance Motor but dont know where to get one)
-install in place of alternator and/or engine starter (belt driven); or direct attach to crankshaft (recommendations here?) The folks that were trying to market the Electrocharger for more power were trying to do something similar but for a different reason
-battery pack in trunk
- add foot switches on both brake and accelerator
-when brake pressed lightly, motor coil activated but power from battery disconnected to regenerative brake
-when accelerator pressed lightly, coil activated and motor on
- when pedals not pressed motor coil is deactivated
-possibly add an additional switch underneath the accelerator pedal, so that motor coil can be deactivated under hard acceleration. Alternatively, use shaft encoder to monitor speed with a microcontroller so that above certain speeds the motor coil is disconnected.

3. engine stop start (requires enhanced battery pack and/or better starter or possibly the electric motor installed in item 2)
-separate PIC controller; redundant shaft encoders and interrupt switch (relay) with ignition
-stop at 0 rpm, start with accelerator press
This would be the automatice version of some of the recent threads i've seen posted about kill switch button installs.

Any microcontroller should have a simple readout to troubleshoot and do regular readouts of what is happening.