View Single Post
Old 11-09-2009, 09:38 PM   #13 (permalink)
Frank Lee
(:

Blue - '93 Ford Tempo
Last 3: 27.29 mpg (US)

F150 - '94 Ford F150 XLT 4x4
90 day: 18.5 mpg (US)

Sport Coupe - '92 Ford Tempo GL
Last 3: 69.62 mpg (US)

ShWing! - '82 honda gold wing Interstate
90 day: 33.65 mpg (US)

Moon Unit - '98 Mercury Sable LX Wagon
90 day: 21.24 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,555 Times in 2,218 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by papaslides View Post
I don't know the mechanics of it, or how to imagine such a gear setup... but the idea is that the pedal assist is only in first gear to add some extra torque to that first push (or to take some of the heavy lifting off the motor for going up hills, so maybe gears 1 and 2). Then after that the pedal would stop aiding the motor and really only act as a pedal powered charger for the batteries. The other inspiration behind that function is the idea I posted about it having a "neutral" gear specifically to function as a pedal operated power generator (like those exercise bikes you can get plans for online that generate enough power to charge cell phones, run laptops/tv's etc.). The idea was that at home in the garage it could function as a pedal powered generator, and could be taken out as a commuter/errand running bike.

So obviously the scooter frame is a dead end, but I'm concerned that starting with a mountain bike setup will not be big enough to support the batteries, engine, and possible cargo space in the future. So if a mountain bike isn't beefy enough (IMHO) and a scooter is ergonomically insane for this application, what's next?
If it was my project I'd make a separate, stationary garage exercyclegenerator just for that purpose.

I also think that it doesn't take a whole lot for a battery pack's weight to overwhelm a bike's capacity (especially in my case since I already take up so much of the bike's capacity myself! ). I like the idea of a pusher trailer for that reason.