View Single Post
Old 11-10-2009, 09:01 AM   #23 (permalink)
user removed
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,304 Posts
I have seen a Mercedes diesel with 900k miles on the engine. One of my customers had an 87 300 ZX that he sold to us with 350k miles. He changed the oil every 7 k miles (dino oil). He drove all highway, a 500 mile round trip once a week. He owned his own airplane and flew the rest of his travels.

The 300 used on quart of oil in 3000 miles at 350 k miles. The engine had never been apart.

Another customer who changed his oil more frequently had 550k miles on a Z20 4 cylinder 200 sx. The inside of his engine was immaculate and it had never been apart, not even a head gasket in over half a million miles.

I used to change my oil every 3300 miles, now I go 5k + miles between changes. The Echo was overfilled when I bought it. I drove it 5400 miles on the oil that was in it when I bought it. Not sure how many miles it had on the oil when purchased, but it dropped down to the fill mark by the time I had driven 5400 miles. I changed it to Mobil 1 0w30 and I plan on driving it at least 6 k miles between changes. I will see how far it goes before it used half a quart and probably change it then.

I let the dealer change the oil on the Insight, because they do it for 38 bucks. The magnesium oil pan can easily be damaged if they over tighten the drain plug. That will be their problem if they strip the drain plug.

regards
Mech