View Single Post
Old 11-12-2009, 10:03 AM   #6 (permalink)
bwilson4web
Engineering first

17 i3-REx - '14 BMW i3-REx
Last 3: 45.67 mpg (US)

Blue Bob's - '19 Tesla Std Rng Plus
This curious:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcb View Post
You have been staring at and discussing your prius for a long time, did you know there are a few folks who have managed over 100mpg for an entire tank, in a non-prius (non-hybrid even)?
Yes, as was apparent in this chart:

The Y-axis is the miles per gallon (MPG) and includes the segments by the drivers in the 2005 Prius marathon. The speeds came from their elapsed times and the MPG from their performance log. Together that team achieved over 100 miles per gallon for a single tank in a Prius. But I've always figured marathon driving was abusive because the labor hours spent were not proportional to the information gained.

After a car achieves steady-state performance in a closed loop or two-passes in opposite directions, any further driving provides no additional information. Marathon driving becomes a waste of human life and fuel. But it is their lives and money to spend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcb View Post
. . . And plenty more examples of low-tech cars getting 60+ averages.
Good for them. I believe "the Stig" achieved ~17 MPG in an NHW20 Prius test and ~22 MPG in a recent 2010 Prius test. My data shows he could have done worse ... certainly I can provide a cookbook on how to do it if you need one.

For me, it is enough to understand how any given performance is achieved. Then I look at the vehicle systems to see if it can be improved in reliability, performance or utility. It is what an engineer does not just for a living but as a profession ... it is my hobby.

One of the things that attracted me to Ecomodder is the ratio of members who understand the scientific method ... how to conduct an experiment. Of course not everyone but a high enough ratio that the signal-to-noise ratio is favorable.

Bob Wilson

Last edited by bwilson4web; 11-12-2009 at 12:58 PM..