View Single Post
Old 11-12-2009, 04:51 PM   #2567 (permalink)
Renny_D
EcoModding Lurker

Hi thanks for all your work on this. I am looking at going this route though it scares me. I think I will pick up some random circuit board kits to practice soldering. I'd be open to any suggestions on a good kit and soldering instructions. I am still somewhat unclear about the assembly instruction - I looked at the pdf but their seemed to be alot of presumed steps and understanding. One of my big fears is having things short out and it is not entirely clear what things insulate the various components but I guess things would make more sense once it comes together. I think I will still go this route despite my apprehension. I do have a few questions for the gurus out there:

On the capacitors the pdf shows foam tape to pad them against vibration but that also looks like they insulate the capacitors and prevent heat transfer. In the latest video on the site it looked like the capacitors produce a fair bit of heat that has kinda a long path to get out. Could something be done to transfer heat to the heat spreader?

On the heat spreader I assume thicker is better but has any body done a fined one? I thought of just getting a block and a carbide bit for my table saw and doing some machining of fins for better cooling?

Lastly I am looking to drop this into a zap pk. but the big issue is that there is no space in the cab. Would it be possible to waterproof the case or is a certain amount of air circulation necessary?

Any info would be helpful.

thanks alot

Renny

PS would love to see more videos and pics of completed units and completed units in cars.