View Single Post
Old 11-13-2009, 06:56 PM   #12 (permalink)
Peter7307
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrk View Post
Public transport (buses) and cars have different requeriments:
In a car, you would prefer that traffic lights go green as you approach, "green waves" go with the traffic flow and once you are in a "green wave" you don't stop - unless you are too slow and a "red wave" catches you.
In a bus, since it has to stop constantly, you would miss those "waves" all the time... then if you want to favour public transport (better overall FE!!) those "green waves" go against traffic, but it is totally inconvenient for cars...
Maximum overall efficency is not as easy as it seems

-- My brother gave me this explanation once, he is a road engineer --
I agree a bus constantly stopping would catch different wave patterns than a car which is not stopping but the bus would still catch some although they would be different waves from the cars.

In other words one car would catch a green wave all the way and the bus having to stop would have the wave go on without it.

The bus would discharge some passengers , collect others and go again catching the next wave until it was required to stop again and repeat the process.

Given the volume of exhaust emissions saved by keeping the cars constantly moving this would outweigh the inconvenience of having the bus out of synch with the waves.

Pete.