View Single Post
Old 11-14-2009, 10:54 AM   #38 (permalink)
cackalak
Honda

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnCivic View Post
Anyway, I look at it this way... Honda (or any auto maker) has many engineers who are much smarter than myself, and they spend thousands of hours getting this stuff right. What are the chances that I could improve on that? It's not likely. However, it sure is fun to try different setups.
Yes, I'm sure the auto manuf. have tested various sizes and gearing for the best MPG's, especially now days. But I agree, it is fun to try and trump the engineers.

Going to skinnier tires, but the same overall height will help. I have tried to find another tire size for my Civic, but have had a hard time. My current size is the same at 185/65/14 and was looking for a 165 or 175 equivalent (keeping the overall diameter the same). But that would mean a 73 or 69-series tires (respectively)....which don't exist. But, the closest is 175/70/14's. I am wondering if it's worth it. Tirerack has several of these available. On my next tire change, I might spring for them.

Also, I have the HX rims, which are very light. If you're on stock steelies, I'd suggest trying to find a set of HX rims. Or even aftermarket 14" alloy rims would help.