View Single Post
Old 11-14-2009, 09:54 PM   #1 (permalink)
TheOrchidThief
EcoModding Lurker

Just started my hypermiling experiments and having great success!

Hello... I have known about hypermiling for a few years now but never really paid it much attention for whatever reason (probably all of the drama caused by my marriage, which I am happy to say I am out of now) but I had read an article about it on Wisebread.com the other day (which is full of great tips and "life-hacks" of all kinds and I highly recommend taking a look over there if you feel so inclined.

Anywho, I drive an '05 Honda Civic VP with a standard transmission. The combined gas mileage of my civic is rated at 28MPG combined according to www.fueleconomy.gov which is pretty consistent with what I have been getting ~350 miles out of a 12.5 gallon tank.

As of this week I finally decided to dabble a bit. I began by filling my tires up to the maximum psi of 44 and towing the hypermilage line to the best of my ability. I bought myself a scan gague today and I am happy to say that I am now getting a solid 45 MPG! Tomorrow will be my first real highway test so I am anxious to see how my car performs on the highway.

I have really been enjoying reading about everyones modification projects particularly Andrew J's 5th generation civic hatchback thread (which I read from beginning to end) and am now half way through Paul and Sabrina's opensource DIY motor controller thread. I'm quite impressed. I actually do have quite a bit of practical electronics engineering experience myself.

I am quite baffled by the auto industry's inability (or unwillingness) to produce reasonably priced electronic and fuel efficient vehicles. I'm sure there are quite a few of you who are familiar with the documentary "Who Killed the Electric Car?" If you haven't seen it I highly recommend checking it out. It is, however, very frustrating and it hurt my brain

Well I think I've rambled on long enough. Fantastic forum. I think I'm addicted.

Last edited by TheOrchidThief; 11-14-2009 at 09:56 PM.. Reason: wanted to site where I got the 28 MPG data from