View Single Post
Old 11-15-2009, 01:15 AM   #12 (permalink)
Frank Lee
(:

Blue - '93 Ford Tempo
Last 3: 27.29 mpg (US)

F150 - '94 Ford F150 XLT 4x4
90 day: 18.5 mpg (US)

Sport Coupe - '92 Ford Tempo GL
Last 3: 69.62 mpg (US)

ShWing! - '82 honda gold wing Interstate
90 day: 33.65 mpg (US)

Moon Unit - '98 Mercury Sable LX Wagon
90 day: 21.24 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,555 Times in 2,218 Posts
"You may want to consider a lower Cg to aid stability, but I believe you'll enjoy the recumbent position."

I've got about 2 block's ride time on a low store-bought bent. It didn't seem to have any stability advantage, and the starts and stops were more awkward.

"I DIDNT EVEN THINK THAT THERE ARENT ANY BREAKS!!!!!"

There are no breaks. She's solid as a rock!

"But I take it you did fire up the Sawzall on the donor bike,
which appears to have been a "boys" bike."

That is correct. Sawzalls rule!

"I suspect you had to pry the front fork tubes outward quite a bit to accept the
the rear wheel axle. I would expect something like 1-1/2 inches. That would
create a severe bending moment at the crown where the fork tubes attach to
the crown. Better keep an eye on that area for micro-cracking, in the
weld/silver solder, whatever."

I had to spread the fork legs for the additional hub width and I also had to spread the fork ends to accept the larger diameter axle- no grinding! I'd call the bending moment "minor" or "inconsequential". Of course on the back end I had to compress the frame to fit the narrow "front" hub, and the axle is small in the frame's slots but the axle nuts are holding it securely so far.

The "rear" frame stays going from the front hub to the handlbar stem (running right along the front fork) are redundant and will probably be removed eventually. I wanted to get a sense of the rigidity of that whole assembly before doing that.

"Green-neck or Econeck"

I think I'm a "Stiff-neck" after grabbing all those bike parts and bending them with bare hands! Oh yeah, I felt it later.