View Single Post
Old 11-17-2009, 03:14 AM   #6 (permalink)
Crono
EcoModding Lurker

Pizza Geo - '92 Geo Metro
Last 3: 47.52 mpg (US)

Blazing Glory - '07 Yamaha C3
90 day: 108.96 mpg (US)

The Beast - '86 Pontiac Subird
90 day: 15.6 mpg (US)

Mom's Firefly - '92 Pontiac Firefly
90 day: 35.65 mpg (US)

Noris - '08 Toyota Yaris
90 day: 35.45 mpg (US)

Mirage - '15 Mitsubishi Mirage
90 day: 48.11 mpg (US)

Japan - '08 Suzuki Alto
90 day: 45.88 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Atomic Ass View Post
Do you have a tach or are you going by engine note?

Now that I think about it, I think that is supposed to be one of the benefits of sliders over rollers, in that they won't start shifting until you've gotten going. If you ease off the throttle at 15 mph does the same shifting happen?

As for the better FE, that's natural. Higher vehicle speeds + lower engine speeds + higher engine load = more efficiency.
I can totally see now that it gets those results, it was just unexpected because well, almost nobody around here's gotten this mod and so I didn't really know what it was going to do but I tried anyway. Glad I did! I just also thought it was funny that I've probably been driving way more aggressively too.

The "shifting" will occur slightly earlier if I am not as heavy on the accelerator. Probably 20mph at earliest and 25mph at latest. It seems to have a pretty set shift range "in mind".

There's someone here with a C3 that's modded it way more than I have my own and the results look really positive: Details: Yamaha C3 Scooter - 2007 yamaha C3 Scooter Fuel Economy - EcoModder.com (Check out the fuel logs too). I'm guessing that really really good mileage numbers could be attained if you really made a concerted effort to drive ecomodding style, too.

One thing I've wondered though, that I think would make a huge difference for mileage since I live in a very very hilly area - is there any way to get the equivalent of a neutral gear in my scooter? I know that around 6 or 7mph, when I'm coming to a stop, I can feel something disengage and I actually coast as opposed to having the engine brake, so I know that there's something in there that does it, but I don't really understand the mechanics of it. Being able to coast rather than auto engine brake would make a really big difference I bet.