View Single Post
Old 11-18-2009, 04:54 PM   #27 (permalink)
beatr911
Master EcoModder

B2300 - '96 Mazda B2300 SE

Focus - '05 Ford Focus ST

The red car - '00 Honda Insight
Jack,
I like the renderings you are doing for this stage of the project. Rhino looks like great sandbox to test out ideas.

The area behind the front wheels looks to be a massive air cooling exit on each side. If there isn't enough air to fill the void from the radiator it'll increase turbulence/drag. Maybe make these 1/2 width of the tire? Radiator air will be sucked out through the gap between the fender and the tire anyway. If the rad is behind about the front wheel centerline I vote to close the gap around the front wheels entirely and exit radiator air under the car or through the driveshaft tunnel. (I seem to be a little cooling air mesmerized lately, excuse me.)

Also in the next model, the tires could be narrower. Maybe design around some of the more common LRR tires in the Prius size. Guessing a 195/60-15, or pretty close anyway. The 3/4 rear view looks like about like a 235/40-sumptin.

I like the idea of a flatter slope to the rear. Someone here said a maximum of 11 degrees at freeway speeds is good for continuing attached flow, if there is any.

Your metro middy idea seems like a really good starting point for the clean sheet. I'd like to know more. Metros are getting old, not too many more years and it'll be hard to find good donors. (Nudge, nudge)