View Single Post
Old 11-18-2009, 06:20 PM   #33 (permalink)
aerohead
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,228 Times in 4,655 Posts
throttles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christ View Post
Phil -

I've not ventured to actually see or attempt to reproduce/test any of the patents, but could [at least some of] the gains claimed in those designs been more a matter of airflow profiling? Just as [in high air velocity applications] a single large barrel is far more efficient than multiple smaller barrels, I believe that airflow through the older carbs was a very neglected feature of efficiency gains, and these people may have looked at that as well as vaporization and other enhancements to be able to make those claims, with even an ounce of legitimacy.

I guess I'm asking if it was really snake oil they were cooking up, or if someone just didn't read the recipe correctly?
I've got Wallace's book in front of me.
All the carbs either have a standard butterfly throttle,or their system is in series with,and ahead of the standard carb,with its throttle.
Here's a very important consideration.One gallon of gasoline,at stoichiometric ratio has the energy of 10 sticks of trinitrotuluene(TNT).
One backfire through the carburetor could conceivably explode the front end off the car.
The Following User Says Thank You to aerohead For This Useful Post:
Christ (11-19-2009)