View Single Post
Old 11-19-2009, 12:30 PM   #29 (permalink)
bondvagabond
EcoModding Apprentice

vandle - '93 Ford E-350 Xlt
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesqf View Post
Seems as though you're still going to be up against some fundamental problems. First, any 4WD that will handle your too-bad-for-Subaru road is going to have really crappy aerodynamics. If you jack it up and put big off-road tires on it, that's just going to make things worse, as will your lockups &c.

So here's an out-of-the-box suggestion. (Or maybe I should say "in the box"?). Get one of those used metal shipping containers, and park it at the entrance to your property. (You could even pour concrete to mount it to.) Keep a small 4x4 for the property (maybe even a quad with trailer?), drive a small car to & from the city, and put whichever you're not using in the strong metal box.
Thanks for an out of the box solution

As I said earlier I am going to avoid big tires/lift at all cost. As you say, they shoot mpg all to hell. My hope is that a combination of more agresively treaded tires/locking differentials/tire chains/samurai light weight floating over the goo compared to bigger trucks effect, will counteract the lack of conventional big tires/lift solution to off road performance.

I'd love to do the box solution, unfortunately the land at the beginning of the 2 miles of bad road does not belong to me. If I put a shipping container on it, it would be confiscated and I would get a fat illegal dumping ticket.

Also as I mentioned earlier in the thread, in my neck of the woods the contianers cost 2500, plus several hundred for delivery, several times the budget for my project.

Keep the ideas coming guys, brainstorming is good.