View Single Post
Old 11-19-2009, 02:10 PM   #31 (permalink)
bondvagabond
EcoModding Apprentice

vandle - '93 Ford E-350 Xlt
It'll only work if I can avoid big tires/lift. The vw diesel swap guys are getting mid 30-mid40mpgs with big tires/lifts, depending on the engine/tires.

Acme adapters, the swap kit company with the best reputation for tech support is about 15 miles from my house, so that's a plus.

If I end up having to go diesel, I would go with a 1.6 normally aspirated engine. They get the best mpg's, and have really similar power specs to the stock 1.3 liter gas engine, something important with samurais because when you just bolt monster torq on you have to start upgradeing other parts like axles and it snowballs on you.

I looked into the price stuff some more. It looks like the actual build cost is thrown up by guys covetous of power. real world, just today found
running diesel car 1.6normally aspirated 500
swap kit 595
intake manifold adapter 200
exhaust manifold adapter 100
flexible collector adapter 200
gas vw intake manifold (for height reasons) cheap
gas vw exhaust manifold (fitment reasons) cheap
so about 1700 ish with a used engine
not bad, 29 to 45 mpg= 35% mpg gain.

It would take about 42500 miles to pay for itself if I didn't run into any complications. very cool, and If I had an engine blow up anyway, or had to go to big tires to make the project work it would be the way to go. as it is though, I think by staying stock and adding aero mods and everything I can think of for traction that won't affect mpg negatively, I will get there with less. My cheap solution that I will try out first is, all complimentary to a diesel swap later too with the exception of a torq specific exhaust system.