View Single Post
Old 11-19-2009, 11:29 PM   #1 (permalink)
Zyzzyx
EcoModding Lurker

Avant - '99 Audi A4 Avant
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 26.94 mpg (US)
A'right, time to try this stuff out a bit - '99 Audi A4 Avant

For awhile now I've been tweaking the nut behind the wheel, changing how I drive. Not up to full hypermiling levels, but am very careful about driving smooth and easy; I've been able to get better mileage around town than on the highway.

EPA average rating is 24mpg, I've been getting an overall average of 26.7. Not so great, but I've been fairly pleased with it. The Audi is a 3300lb car, all wheel drive, with a 1.8L turbo and 5 speed stick. Most of the time I keep the turbo off boost, but there are the few times when needed or just because I can.

My plan is to do some of the basic aero mods, especially to help with highway mileage as the car is mostly used for road trips now. Looking initially at some grill blocks, and maybe completing a belly pan. It already has a fairly good factory belly pan from the bumper to the front axles. Also want to try some zigzag tape, been reading here about that.

I am limiting myself quite a bit though as I want to keep the mods stealthed in. I really love the way the car looks now, so it won't get things like skirts or wheel discs. I dunno, I may change my stance on that. Have to wait and see.

I've read through a couple of the long threads the last couple days. Don't remember the owners, but of the white Honda (not basjoos) and the blue XA. Good stuff, looks like a good community around here.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	LoweredAvant.JPG
Views:	25
Size:	82.7 KB
ID:	4780