View Single Post
Old 11-21-2009, 02:41 PM   #50 (permalink)
aerohead
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,219 Times in 4,646 Posts
Project Update # 10 ( inching ahead )

The project is at 399.5 man-hours now.
* Welding is finished,the tongue is complete.
*The door has been foamed, glassed,and mounted on its piano hinge.
*I have begun fitting 3/4-inch plywood floor/deck panels.( I will be doing an EV range-extender battery-trailer simulation test in New Mexico and need a robust floor to support the pack weight ).
*The axle fairing is bonded on and has been floated out with body filler.
*Six fairings have been floated out with body filler.
*The two strakes have been floated.
*The "plug" for the spring/shackle fairings has been floated and awaits final sanding before I can create the mold from which the actual fairings will be cast.
* All the other fairings will require sanding before primer and top coats.
I need to have the other fairings and strakes bolted up before I can complete the floor,as access would otherwise be blocked.
I spent some time at Purvis Bearing Co. in Denton going over the wheel-bearing issue.I had re-packed and attempted to adjust the pre-load and just could not satisfy myself with results.
The bearing people told me that "loose" is better than "tight" and not to overdo the grease,as it will actually increase operating temps.
I played with the castle-nut position and ended up taking a composite cut-off wheel and making a 7th position for the pre-load cotter-pin location.
The washer retains some "slip"as recommended but the tire/wheel cannot wobble as much as with the standard nut pin locations.Freaky!
When I get the "bottom" on the trailer I'm going to do some shake-down runs and monitor the hubs with my infrared pyrometer to make sure I don't overheat anything.
There is much bodywork to do to arrive at a "factory" finish,but I need to jump on the gap-fillers if I'm to make my new deadline.The body of the the trailer is "there" aerodynamically,and could be tested as it is,it's just that I'd like it to look like someone else made it.
I've got a few pics and if Al gets free,will post after awhile.