View Single Post
Old 11-21-2009, 06:20 PM   #4 (permalink)
Tweety
Out of my mind, back in 5

Heh... fabrication isn't really a problem... My father is into restoring old bikes and cars, so I pretty much grew up with a tool in each hand... If I'm not able to weld up or cut whatever I'll need I'll just point where to do what and he'll do it...

I'm on my 5'th? at least I think it's that many customized bike myself (this one has been through a few iterations, an so have a few of the previous, so counting is a bit difficult) and I have stopped counting the cars... My mother has set a non-negotiable limit of maximum 50 projects in the workshop, divided between me, my father and my brother... We keep moving stuff about so she won't figure out the exact amount, but I think there is roughly 60 bikes in parts and 7 cars in running order and 2 in non working order...

I actually convinced her the other day that this one doesn't count against the total, since it's electric...

My reasons for doing this is simple... I enjoy riding bikes which isn't very eco friendly... I go racing several times a year in a 1000 HP Dodge Viper (admittedly running on e85 fuel but still not eco friendly...) My way of balancing is that my "daily driver" during the summer through town is a pedal bike, good for me and good for the environoment... When I'm going further I either take the bike or if I need to bring stuff I have an old clunker standing around... It also comes into service in the winter months when using a 2 wheeled vehicle become a life threatening event...

So for around town driving in the summer when I need to carry stuff around and for the winter daily drives I'm thinking a EV will do the job quite nicely...

Now my thinking as far as cars go have always been a bit different than most around me... I see no real point in having a new super extra deluxe station wagon or similar as a "normal car"... If it has 300 hp it's still a boring A-B car... It's still kinda underpowered when you compare to 1000 hp... And like a lot of people have said... 90% of the time I'm only going across town... Well in range and at a comfortable speed for an EV...

So it simple... If I use an EV for this I kind of balance out some of the things I do for fun... And I believe if more did it this way, the impact of the old or new, but maintained "enthusiast vehicle" won't really have an impact compared to the lazy people commuting alone in a SUV...