View Single Post
Old 03-13-2008, 05:24 PM   #7 (permalink)
Gone4
Master EcoModder

Send a message via AIM to Gone4
Quote:
Originally Posted by RH77 View Post
Engine-off Coasting in 5th will hold you back more than Neutral due to compression of the engine. Neutral removes the resistance of turning engine parts and accessories.

As far as battery life is concerned, I think of that as a negligible effect of this technique. I've done a moderate amount of EOC'ing (with headlights always on: day or night for safety) on a 6-year-old battery, in an automatic.

In the Summers, I also have the blower running to draw air into the cabin as opposed to creating drag with windows down. So far it has outlasted my expectations -- but I expect it to go any day (I've said that for more than a year -- knock on wood).

This is all with an automatic. I have to rely on the battery and starter to get going again. I've tried the engine-off in Drive technique and successfully restarted with key-on, but the torque converter has to be locked -- and I'm not sure of the effects on the transmission with such practices.

There's a big, re-chargeable battery under the hood. I say, use it!

RH77
I tried this in an automatic focus and I heard a decently loud bump. Is this safe to do in an auto? I want to try in the corolla, which is an auto, but I've been a bit scared. The corolla is a decade older too, if that makes a difference.