View Single Post
Old 11-22-2009, 06:25 PM   #39 (permalink)
bondvagabond
EcoModding Apprentice

vandle - '93 Ford E-350 Xlt
Quote:
Originally Posted by bestclimb View Post
The spare could be used as an attach point for a light weight boat tail on a samurai.

I have seen light weight boat anchors used to wench against. But it took several. I would be very impressed with a light weight foot attached to a high lift jack that was an effective winching anchor. There are screw in anchors that look like they would be useful for a light vehicle. Many times found objects can be used. I have buried tree limbs to anchor things in the past.

For towing and pulling stuck vehicles out I prefer a strap to a chain. I have found that with a strap there is stretch that reduce shock loads to components (such as the chintzy anchor located on a stock samurai) and the stretch and rebound helps in recoving the stuck vehicle.
I think the stock spare tire racks are pretty wimpy. I wouldn't want to tar up the sheetmetal in the tailgate if that's all that was supporting the boattail structure.

Anyone got good data on the pro's and con's of increasing there final drive ratio by putting on bigger tires? you'd have more rotating weight, but fewer rpm/mile=less gas.

I'm wondering about mildly bigger tires to lower cruise rpms. just what I could get away with without a lift. Someone was mentioned on here that the reason the samurias had the same mpg's even after the swap to fuel injection was that they lowered top gear. I don't mind gutless if it gives me the sweet mpgs