View Single Post
Old 11-22-2009, 08:43 PM   #11 (permalink)
Tweety
Out of my mind, back in 5

I took the whole bunch down to a local shop to have them tested... Turns out if you tell people you have 36 batteries you need tested they think you are a bit daft... But then you tell them it's for building an EV and you get all kinds of good service... It's very wierd... It cost me $10 to have them all tested... It was hovewer a big PITA to get them all in the truck bed and of... Now my arms hurt...

I'm actually considering the offer the guy there gave me... These are GEL cell batteries, good for not needing to check them... They are also supposedly dual purpose ie both start and utility battery, but not really deep cycle... Altough GEL batteries doesn't really die from that as fast as others... Or so I have been told...

He offered to swap them all for 8 105Ah deep cycle AGM batteries... Brand new, never used but stored a while... According to the guy they should be a lot better for an EV, but need more maintainance... I'm kind of on the fence... These would new cost me about $130 each... So apparently I'm sitting on ~$1000 of batteries...

Of the 36 tested, 5 of them was "as new", another 8 was "decent" and 9 where dead or on their deathbed... The rest was "usable"...

So I could have 13 good one's and 14 usable... vs 8 new deep cycle with a lot more Ah for about the same weight... Any advice, I'm confused...