View Single Post
Old 11-24-2009, 11:49 PM   #33 (permalink)
Nerys
Grrr :-)

Cherokee - '88 Jeep Cherokee
90 day: 19.44 mpg (US)

Ryo-Ohki - '94 Geo Metro Xfi
90 day: 50.15 mpg (US)

Vger 2 - '00 Plymouth Grand Voyager SE

Ninja - '89 Geo Tracker
90 day: 30.27 mpg (US)
I am thinking something like a Variac where you simply "adjust" the speed of the pump yourself. IE "YOU" be the computer so to speak.

electric rotational conversion is NOT EQUAL. yes the alternator is very inefficient but if your going epump your also going sans alternator so irrelevant.

also the conversions are NOT EQUAL electric motors are VERY VERY efficient approaching 90% some over 90% electric GENERATORS (ie alternators) are very inefficient.

I am thinking something like a dimmer switch where I "learn" what settings are good for my commute based on outside temps and I "mark" the knob with the temps. get in the car its 60' out turn the knob to the 60' mark and "tune" if needed.

I would add an audible alarm to the temp gauge so if it started to rise (or fall) too much I would get an alert kind of like the sensor telling the actuator to adjust ie the sensor (buzzer) would tell the actuator (driver) to adjust the knob :-)

Can I retrofit an electric motor directly to the existing water pump or would that lose a lot of efficiency?