View Single Post
Old 11-25-2009, 03:43 PM   #190 (permalink)
adamj12b
Master EcoModder

EVVette - '71 Chevy Corvette Coupe
I hate to be a bearer of bad news, but using the controller as a charger as well is very dangerous.

In order to use the controller as a charger, you would need to rewire the battery from the battery side to the motor side, you would then need to apply some kind of DC power to the battery side of the controller. This would require some large contactors to be able to switch back and fourth.

The second problem is the controller does not measure voltage yet. You would need to add this to the controller to control the PWM output or you could go way over what would kill the batteries.

Also, when you start adding things to code, you increase the risk of bugs.

A better idea, I think, to keep things cheep would to use a power stage that is only 1/5 of the drive controller. This would be 2 MOSFET/diode pairs, capable of 50A. To this you would add a current sensor capable of more accurate low current measurement. As for the cap section, the whole cap section of a controller is $50. 4 caps would be enough for a charger.

I've built a power stage of just this size. All it needs to be a charger is some logic.

As for the heat sink, it is mounted of the heatsink for a P4 computer processor.

If people are interrested, I could probably get to working on making it I to a charger. I actually have the pwerfect inductor already.

-Adam

You can download RTD Explorer for the Cougar controllers at www.EVVette.com