View Single Post
Old 03-13-2008, 11:54 PM   #17 (permalink)
AndrewJ
Awesomeness personified

Harold - '94 Honda Civic CX
90 day: 54.51 mpg (US)

Margot - '08 Surly Big Dummy
Send a message via AIM to AndrewJ
Finishing touches

So the other day I got in the xtracycle parts, the v-racks and freeloader bags, and snapdeck to be specific. I also got some Kenda Kniption 2.3" street tires to finish it all off.

Oh, and somewhere inbetween all that I got the Wald basket put on the front. Lucky for me the fork of the Big Dummy has lowrider rack eyelets that fit up with the Wald very well. Wald baskets typically have the support brace (the lower bar) mounted trough the bikes front axle nuts or quick-release.
However, if you have a disc brake on the front, as I do, that's a VERY bad idea.

Front disc brakes under braking force exert pretty significant downforce on the axle, down as in self-ejecting. If your front axle isn't very tight and you brake hard with discs your front wheel will probably extract itself from your fork in a very quick and painful way.

So, with front discs, make sure the quick release is super-tight and don't put anything between the QR and the fork (like a Wald basket support) that could make slippage easier.