View Single Post
Old 11-27-2009, 02:10 AM   #302 (permalink)
Christ
Moderate your Moderation.

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by vpoppv View Post
Wow, I have seen the pics and I thought you were just practicing! That's awesome!

MetroMPG:
I think lead prices have gone up a little, so you might want to see if the forklift place is still up for it and you very well could make a profit.

Christ: I really wish my local guys would work something out with me like that; on the plus side, the battery recycler gave me the name of a spot here in town that does a lot of business with them and said they would have the best prices on "blem" batteries. That's the batteries that have sat on the shelf and have to be traded out. But even those batteries, at about half normal price, is a little more than I am willing to spend.
I figure it this way - If I ever do an EV and want to take them up on the offer, I'll go through the core pallets and find the ones that have the newest date codes on them. They're the most likely to be still good, usually people notice that they're a few years old or whatever, and buy a new one. Often, people get a flat battery in the winter because they left something on for too long, and swap out for a newer battery. Same with RV/Marine batteries... people change those every season, it seems.

I guess the core charge is the same for all the batteries they sell, regardless of size/weight/capacity, so there are two options afterward - I can either sell the bad ones for lead and make a profit at times, or I can turn them back in and trade them out for another, like I usually do for lawn and garden, ATV/UTV and some car batteries.