View Single Post
Old 11-27-2009, 01:11 PM   #91 (permalink)
NiHaoMike
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcb View Post
Well, to Jacks point, it still will not be as simple or efficient a circuit as rewinding a motor for the desired voltage. I would definitely consider a DIY or shop based rewind before converters. adjusting the cell count in the pack may be an option as well.
Toyota had the option of winding the motors for whatever voltage they wanted, and they decided to go with higher voltages. In fact, they initially directly used battery voltage, then went to 500v and now 650v. I'm sure there's a good reason for it.

I think it would be easier to build a boost converter than to rewind a motor. But if you know how to rewind a motor, you can repair one with bad windings. Then replace the bearings and it is practically a new motor!

Allie Moore and I have a combined carbon footprint much smaller than that of one average American...