View Single Post
Old 11-27-2009, 08:43 PM   #1 (permalink)
mikernet
EcoModding Lurker

Question Help needed from propane experts! Custom V8 Propane Turbo Performance Setup

Hi All,

I posted in the intro thread before this, so this is my first real post.

I stumbled on this forum by googling around about propane injection, which I know very little about.

I would appreciate any commentary / criticism / answers to my statements and questions below.

(EDIT: the engine I'm planning to use is a custom turbocharged GM LS3 6.2L V8)

What I do know is this: it has an octane rating of 105 - 110, and it is a gas. I want to build a really unique car, so this got me thinking - if I ran on propane, I could maintain the high compression (10.7:1) AND throw in tons of boost without running into premature detonation problems. Also, if I injected the propane pre-turbo, it would have tons of time/space and turbulance to mix very evenly with the air. I know some propane conversion companies inject supplemental propane pre-turbo in truck applications, so I figured this might be possible.

I am running a custom ECU that I designed and developed, so ANYTHING is possible from a software/hardware/sensors/etc perspective.

If I inject post-turbo, my options are limited to those that will still work under boost, so blow-through or liquid injected. From what I understand, vapour injectors are usually running at 1 - 1.5 bar, so boost would slow down (or stop) the injection rate, so that probably isn't an option, right?

If I inject pre-turbo, I also have the option of a draw-through type system or vapour injectors.

How do the systems that are designed for carburated engines handle things like enrichment during full acceleration and idling AFR changes?

I have some more questions, but that depends on what types of injection remain suitable for my application.

Any help figuring this out is greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

--Mike

Last edited by mikernet; 11-27-2009 at 08:59 PM..