View Single Post
Old 11-28-2009, 10:46 AM   #10 (permalink)
NeilBlanchard
Master EcoModder

Mica Blue - '05 Scion xA RS 2.0
Team Toyota
90 day: 42.48 mpg (US)

Forest - '15 Nissan Leaf S
Team Nissan
90 day: 156.46 mpg (US)

Number 7 - '15 VW e-Golf SEL
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 155.81 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,950 Times in 1,844 Posts
Hi,

I was about to post a thought that I was having about ways to do boattails, related to their length, and it seems this thread is a good fit?

Since the top and the sides of a boattail can be up to 15 degrees, and the bottom is best if it is limited to 4 degrees, this means the car needs to have a height that is ~5/8 the width IF the boattail comes to a point.

But since we need to have the two tail lights spread apart by some reasonable distance, this increases the need to have a shorter height even than that.

So, what is a shade tree aerodynamics person supposed to do? Here's a possible solution: divide the trailing shape of the car into two parts!

Take the lower portion and taper the "top" and sides and bottom as much as possible to end the back in a "line" i.e. like the back of the Aptera.

And take the remaining top portion and taper the sides and the top at the maximum angles so it closes to a point -- but keep it joined to the lower portion.

We seen this in many cars: the 1939 Maybach is one (though it is quite different than my little xA). The original UrSaab is another example. The Volvo 3CC concept car is also similar to this idea; except it truncates it far too early to form anything like a boattail:

Am I explaining it properly? I hope to photograph my xA from above to be able to better illustrate (and test) this idea.

http://neilblanchard.blogspot.com/