View Single Post
Old 11-30-2009, 04:35 AM   #15 (permalink)
bwilson4web
Engineering first

17 i3-REx - '14 BMW i3-REx
Last 3: 45.67 mpg (US)

Blue Bob's - '19 Tesla Std Rng Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by orange4boy View Post
Exciting news!
. . .
Hooked up my 50A switch mode battery charger to the 12V battery and set it to 50A. ~ 14.5V Codes and triangle remained. Cleared codes with Graham scanner... turned off car and started again... Ran fine, no codes, no triangle.

Running load showed a little less than 20 amps. I tried fans and lights and some other loads which added to that but not as much as my van. Apparently they have designed some pretty efficient electrics in the Prius. I will try to do a detailed study of the loads if there is no other reference.
. . .
Excellent news!

If you get a chance, see what the Graham scanner reports for the traction battery current with and without the inverter 20 A. (14.5 * 20 = 290 W.) A detailed load study is an excellent idea. You wouldn't want the control computers to 'lose their mind' if someone flipped on a high current load, say window defrosters and windshield wipers, at the same time. Probably anything with a fuse greater than the 20 A. would be a good candidate and as well as the brakes (electric accumulator.) You are also in a position to see how low the 12 VDC system can go before obvious codes are throw.

Hummmm, 290/745 ~= ~.39 hp, nominal savings.

GOOD WORK!

LATE THOUGHT:
Quote:
. . . I may ultimately need a good 100A DC-DC converter for whichever battery pack I decide to use. Hopefully the voltage is the trigger in which case one simply must keep the supply above x-volts to keep the ECU happy. . . .
This mode, where the deep discharge battery and charger provides the operating current provides a 'fail safe' with one risk ... over charging the existing AUX battery. I had a generator voltage regulator once fail and the 12 VDC battery got hot enough to emit acidic steam ... an interesting problem.

Bob Wilson

Last edited by bwilson4web; 11-30-2009 at 07:49 AM..