View Single Post
Old 11-30-2009, 09:44 PM   #57 (permalink)
Christ
Moderate your Moderation.

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcb View Post
I understand the desire to stay under the radar. However I don't think people whom have actually made improvements in efficiency should live in fear.

The EPA stations around here will actually test your car for $20 on the dyno. I would think that just doing that before and after the swap would be a reasonable investment.
A state and/or federal emissions test can be performed at any time, at the operator's discretion, according to my (used to be) local test stations, for the normal fee.

The results pre and post modification can and should be considered legal testimony of improvements for changing of emissions equipment, and certification of compliance with EPA regulations, to be carried in the vehicle at all times after certification. It's like getting a BAR plate on the door jamb to certify a new config.

Caveat - (There is always a catch, is there not?)
Most inspection mechanics don't know that a vehicle can fail the typical visual inspection if the current configuration has been recertified by an emissions test. In other words, you can remove the EGR valve, etc... and get certified that way, and once you've done so, the vehicle technically should fail a visual inspection, but does not legally fail it. Many inspection mechanics will question it, and aren't aware of the proper legal channels by which they should verify the vehicle's configuration change.