View Single Post
Old 12-01-2009, 10:06 PM   #10 (permalink)
jcp123
Just cruisin’ along

Beater Echo - '00 Toyota Echo
90 day: 42.67 mpg (US)

Hondizzle - '97 Honda Civic DX
Team Honda
90 day: 46.55 mpg (US)

Shaggin Waggin - '14 Chrysler Town + Country
90 day: 22.56 mpg (US)
Hmm, wonder what I could muster. I got a full spare in the back, though the car's so nose heavy I hate to take weight out from the back. Still, the trunk gets cozy once in a while. That's probably, what, 25lbs? I also want to get a different Optima Red Top that's 7lbs lighter than the one I have now...waiting until the battery gives up the ghost (still giving great service at over 7 years of age!). So there's 32 right there. Aluminum radiator would be lighter and also reduce the coolant needed...save, say, 5lbs? Plus I have some various and sundry items that could get left behind. I guesstimate I could get an easy 45lbs off the car in not much time at all.

I could possibly get a glass-fibre hood, that'd save a good 15lbs, but after purchase and paint I'm out over $500...so maybe not. There are glass-fibre fenders and deck lids, too, but again, that's expensive and that stuff's always hard to fit. And aluminum cylinder heads would shave about 40lbs, but the aluminum units out there are performance oriented and don't match the rest of the componentry in the engine now...but would go great on the 302 roller motor I plan to build after this one craps out

'97 Honda Civic DX Coupe 5MT - dead 2/23
'00 Echo - dead 2/17
'14 Chrysler Town + Country - My DD, for now
'67 Mustang Convertible - gone 1/17