View Single Post
Old 12-02-2009, 03:20 PM   #9 (permalink)
Christ
Moderate your Moderation.

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
Will -

Good question. I'm hoping I can do it with the AC generator on the bike, and the alternator in a car, possibly eventually.

AFAIK, the Prius charges the pack with an AC generator as well (the drive motor, I think), so I don't see why it wouldn't work. If it doesn't, I'm only out for $60 (if I blow them all up before I figure it out.)

Being NiMH, I'm just working on the assumption that you can charge them the same way you charge regular NiMH cells, like AAA in your house, and I know I can charge those with an alternator from a car, as long as they're wired up as a proper pack.

Being EV use in your case, and assuming that you're not going to have regen, I'm sure you could charge them with a 6/12V charger plugged into the wall. Your charge circuit would have to be wired independent from your traction circuits, though.

Alternatively, if you could find a normal SLA charger for the same voltage you're working with, I'm sure that would work as well. I'll let you know how well it works on the first warm-ish day after I get them, since I plan on taking the bike out for a quick run.