View Single Post
Old 12-02-2009, 07:21 PM   #19 (permalink)
vpoppv
The $500 Electric Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by paker View Post
My main motivation for using an 11" motor is that it would run cooler by drawing less current due to the amount of torque it can produce.

Fabrication of a different transmission might be a nightmare task, especially if I have to redo the drive shafts.
Well, I have the smallest motor I have ever seen put in a car (well, except for the guy that used a cordless drill for a motor), but I don't think it draws less current, or more current than anyone else's. Not that I can check, since I never bothered to install my ammeter. I just thought that work was a function of energy needed to be applied times weight? So, in my little mind anyway, I don't think that my motor would see a different amount of current that a 13" motor would: it takes the same amount of work to move whether an ant pulls it or an elephant. Barring efficiency, wouldn't my baby Baldor "use" as much battery amps getting me to work than a Mega Monster 250 lbs of electric fury? There's tradeoffs for sure: my tiny motor works harder, and so gets hotter, therefore more power gets converted to heat, but on the other hand, my motor is carrying 200 less pounds around than a 250 lb monster motor. I'm planning on a much bigger motor for my Toyota, because I want to hit the freeway too and a smaller motor would get fried, but a fairly light car should be able to cruise at 85 mph for a good while with an 8 or 9" motor- the holdback would be how long the batteries can provide power rather than the ability of the motor to take the beating. Here's a 9" NetGain in a BMW:

The Following User Says Thank You to vpoppv For This Useful Post:
Christ (12-02-2009)