View Single Post
Old 03-14-2008, 11:12 PM   #6 (permalink)
trebuchet03
MechE

The Miata - '01 Mazda MX-5 Miata
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peakster View Post
All that money just for a key repair? Holy smoke!

It better be the nicest, best-feeling locking mechanism on the planet for that kind of coinage.
Only half of it The other half went into a key - ya, it's expensive - but having the immobilizer is nice (buying an expensive key is much cheaper than replacing the entire car )

Quote:
That's the joy of owning a VW...
Meh, I'm only slightly unhappy (I've been telling myself to lube the lock for many of weeks :/). The only other maintenance I've had in the past 2 years (other than oil and tires) was the accessory belt, drain plug (pan is stripped - replaced with over sized drain plug bolt) - and that's about it. I did recover the headliner and old route 66 knocked out my headlights though...

I do think it's kinda stupid that the key cylinder of all things would break. I looked at the price of similar year cylinders for other cars - and I don't feel too bad about the price considering it's not within my personal capabilities to custom cut tumblers to match my key...