View Single Post
Old 03-15-2008, 12:27 AM   #15 (permalink)
trebuchet03
MechE

The Miata - '01 Mazda MX-5 Miata
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harpo View Post
I had the privilege to consult and power a HPA in the early 80's. Unfortunately, the Warped Wing and trailing tail design had big parasite drag problems. I'd trained up to give 'er ~265watts for an hour or two, but any course adjustment made it closer to 300watts. We made our spars with kevlar tape wrapped around aluminum tubing, then ate the aluminum out with acid.
Awesome!

Quote:
Will this be speed contest or endurance?
Yes

Points breakdown
Design: 40%
Sprint: 30%
Endurance (relay type race): 30%

Quote:
How many watts will the occupant deliver and for what period of time? I'm a USA Cycling Coach, so I'm very in to the power training.
We have a minimum of four riders - 1 of which must be female. I've personally been doing 3x5 interval training for the sprint event and then constant wattage training for the endurance.

For the endurance training - I'm trying to work up to 200 watts sustained for 60 minutes. Right now, I'm around 160 on plateau :/ I've got a little more than a month to keep working on it. For the actual endurance event, I'll only be riding for ~30 minutes. What kinda sucks - the recumbent machines that can give wattage readings are in a much more upright position compared to the seat position of the actual vehicle - but, my own 'bent is a bit closer to the actual seat position

Oh, and original post updated