View Single Post
Old 12-03-2009, 11:09 AM   #1 (permalink)
Fubeca
EcoModding Lurker

The Truck - '06 Chevrolet Silverado Ext Cab 4x4
90 day: 18.5 mpg (US)
How much of a radius to keep flow attached on aero bed cover?

Hi everyone,

I'm pretty new to the site but have been reading every thread I could find regarding aero caps and tonneau covers.

I have a 2006 Chevy Silverado 1500 4x4 and since winter is coming would like to keep the snow out of the bed and off my stuff. I've been considering a regular flat tonneau cover, but would love to be able to increase the truck's aerodynamic efficiency at the same time.

So, when reading through everything, it seems that the design of the cap is important to ensure that it actually improves the airflow.

Initially I was planning on making something fairly straight (easy to make). But am concerned that the transition would be too abrupt between the roof of the truck and the cap.

So the three questions I have are:

1) How much of a radius is required to allow the air to transition smoothly down the "ramp" of the cap - would the image attached be sufficient?

2) Can the transition from the sides to the top of the cap be abrupt, or must this also have a radius?

3) At the end of the day - am I only going to be able to figure out the optimal design by building a mock up and testing it? Or can reasonable assumptions be taken from design images?

Thanks in advance! I am so impressed with all of the knowledge on this site!

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0c1500.16.sandstone1small.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	27.2 KB
ID:	4921   Click image for larger version

Name:	0c1500.16.sandstone2small.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	27.2 KB
ID:	4922  

Last edited by Fubeca; 12-03-2009 at 11:40 AM..