View Single Post
Old 12-03-2009, 03:24 PM   #305 (permalink)
Nerys
Grrr :-)

Cherokee - '88 Jeep Cherokee
90 day: 19.44 mpg (US)

Ryo-Ohki - '94 Geo Metro Xfi
90 day: 50.15 mpg (US)

Vger 2 - '00 Plymouth Grand Voyager SE

Ninja - '89 Geo Tracker
90 day: 30.27 mpg (US)
chuckm your still asking the WRONG question demanding the WRONG result.

"If it shows a net power output that is equal to more than the fuel value of the hydrogen"

According to the best of mankinds knowledge this is a VIOLATION of the laws of the universe as we know it.

you can NEVER EVER get more energy out than you put in. PERIOD. why do people keep saying this? the OBVIOUS and very SCARY implication of this line of thinking is that you somehow THINK very very incorrectly that GASOLINE gives you more than it took to make it.

that also is impossible.

I have one and only one concern. DOLLARS IN versus DOLLARS OUT. does it save me MONEY even if it uses 10 times the energy. DOES IT SAVE ME MONEY.

pdxmonkeyboy I want to test this and I even know how to. Alas I can not afford it. The test is simple. Hydrogen filled gas bottle (quite cheap actually $18 worth of hydrogen the last time I checked) and regulator.

alas the BOTTLE requires a deposit equal in value to the full purchase price to rent. I have no credit car with $400 available balance ($356 IIRC)

and a regulator is about $100-$120 used PLUS the adapter to convert for hydrogen fill another $30-$40.

Fill it with hydrogen for $18 plug it into your car with a FLOW METER and "see what happens"

find the LOWEST feed level you can that increases your MPG (if it increases it at all) calculate how much HYDROGEN that is then figure out how much battery power you would need to generate that much in real time.

Calculate the amortized cost of the batteries over 2-3 years plus the cost of the E to charge them. is this Dollar amount smaller than the savings in gasoline?

alas I can not afford to run this test.

A generator installed onboard and powered BY THE ICE is not likely to show any gains because while hydrogen should in theory increase mpg (your replacing gasoline with hydrogen to a small extent ie you should need less THROTTLE for X speed.

BUT now your engine has to work harder to turn the alternator to generator the VERY SIGNIFICANT power draw of the Hydrogen Generator.

if alternators were VERY efficient this might actually see a small gain but they are not they are VERY inefficient. its VERY likely (butt check 99% certain) to NOT give you a gain in fact it might COST you mpg.

now if you generate the H2 at home you will DEFINATELY see a gain but none of us could possibly afford the pumps and tanks to COMPRESS and STORE Hydrogen effectively.

NOW if you put batteries in the car and your driving is mostly highway so the mpg hit of the extra mass is minimized you should see a gain. How much for how long. thats the question. if its a 1-3mpg gain its likely to not be worth the hassle even if it does have a positive ROI in its lifespan.

8-10+mpg now its starting to get interesting. I have my doubts but the math seems to work out. The trick is DOING it :-)