View Single Post
Old 12-04-2009, 12:34 AM   #41 (permalink)
Nerys
Grrr :-)

Cherokee - '88 Jeep Cherokee
90 day: 19.44 mpg (US)

Ryo-Ohki - '94 Geo Metro Xfi
90 day: 50.15 mpg (US)

Vger 2 - '00 Plymouth Grand Voyager SE

Ninja - '89 Geo Tracker
90 day: 30.27 mpg (US)
well I am curious. 92 pounds of lift. WHAT DOES THAT MEAN.

if sticking 100 pounds of sand in your trunk can improve snow handling would not removing 100 pounds have a similar opposite effect? (I really don't know)

I wanted to say but I have felt the "gusts" give me a good solid shove on the highway but then I thought well its not the same thing. one is blunt drag wind hitting the side of your car. How many pounds of force is that?

I have SEEN gusting winds MOVE a 12,000 pound RV. Right in my driveway. I measured it. Moved the thing 17 inches sideways (no joke) but was that lift or just brute force SHOVE into the side (I am guessing brute force shove on that one)

it would be interesting to figure this kind of stuff out but I certainly do not possess the skill or inclination to do it :-)

Frank I agree 99.99999999% of spoilers are PURELY for looks.

but I swear I read somewhere of a car that had lift issues making it "light" ie dangerous under certain conditions so they added a spoiler not to create down force but to "disrupt" the airflow to kill any generated lift. I thought I remembered it being an automatically extending spoiler that "opened up" at a certain speed though I could be mixing memories on that.