View Single Post
Old 12-04-2009, 01:38 PM   #12 (permalink)
justjohn
EcoModding Apprentice

Black Beauty - '13 Hyundai Elantra
Quote:
Originally Posted by wagonman76 View Post
If you can tell what your shift points are, then you've got a good start. My take on it is when you're under 35 or whenever your TCC kicks in, take it easy. Pushing it harder just churns more fluid and is more wasteful. But once your TCC kicks in probably right after it goes into 3rd gear at 35 or so, push it a little harder to get it up to 45-50 and into OD. Just dont push it hard enough to downshift or your gains are lost for the moment.
What's TCC? You'll have to go easy on the acronyms with me. I know very little about cars to start with.

No problem noticing gear changes at least. I'm not deaf.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyG View Post
justjohn-

When you're accelerating from a dead stop, remember that the greatest amount of friction occurs when you are starting from a stop. Moderate acceleration from a dead stop is a good way to eat up tires and gas. It's better to take your foot off the brake to allow the car to move forward a little and slowly apply gas until you're in 2nd gear. Remember 1st gear is the least efficient. Once you're in 2nd gear, you can apply a little more gas to achieve your moderate acceleration.
I've been doing the rolling stops. According to those graphs though, shouldn't I be holding the throttle near max and just keeping the rpm low?