View Single Post
Old 12-04-2009, 05:04 PM   #1 (permalink)
Chalupa102
Cycling more to drive les

White 'rolla - '05 Toyota Corolla LE
90 day: 44.39 mpg (US)
Send a message via AIM to Chalupa102
Question LED indicator help

The other day i installed an LED to tell me when the radiator fan comes on. My coolant temp got to about 205° F and the light never lit up. I believe the fan comes on somewhere between 195-200°.

At first, i had the positive wire of the LED going to the wire right after the fan. The negative wire is connected to a ground point on the front left suspension tower. After that didn't work, i connected the pos wire to the wire before the fan and left the neg wire where it was, and still nothing.

I know the LED works because i connected the positive wire to the pos terminal on the battery yesterday and it lit right up.

Where should i wire it up so the LED will let me know the fan is running?

This is the best i could do, copied from the manual for your reference:

This is copied directly from the manual to give u an idea about it. Unfortunately i didn't put in the #s for the terminals though:

The current is applied at all times through the RDI FAN fuse to TERMINAL 5 of the FAN NO.1 relay. When the ignition SW is turned on, the current flows through the ECU–IG fuse to FAN NO.1 relay (Coil side) to TERMINAL 6 of the engine control module. At the same time as this current flow, the current from ECU–IG fuse flows to the FAN NO.2 relay (Coil side) to TERMINAL 3 of the pressure SW.

1. Low Speed Operation
When the A/C system is operating, the FAN NO.1 Relay is turned on. As a result, the current flows from the RDI FAN fuse to FAN NO.1 relay (Point side) to TERMINAL 2 of the radiator fan motor to TERMINAL 1 to TERMINAL 3 of the FAN NO.2 relay to TERMINAL 4 to TERMINAL 2 of the radiator fan resistor to TERMINAL 1 to GROUND, and the radiator fan motor rotates at low speed.

2. High Speed Operation
When the pressure SW is on or engine control module operated, the FAN NO.1 and NO.2 relay is turned on. As a result, the current flows from the RDI FAN fuse to FAN NO.1 relay (Point side) to radiator fan motor to TERMINAL 3 of the FAN NO.2 Relay to TERMINAL 5 to GROUND, and the radiator fan motor rotates at high speed.

Corolla aeromods thread:
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...ead-11210.html