Thread: Too steep?
View Single Post
Old 12-04-2009, 11:12 PM   #1 (permalink)
sbdeadelf
EcoModding Lurker

Too steep?

Hi,
I'm somewhat new here. Read lots, but not posted much. I've been cruising around in an early Chevy Sprint and have been happy with the 50ish MPG I've been getting.... but...

On the highways, speed is a real issue. Cd is around .38 and the car isn't super adaptable for improvement I think. So if I want to get that 50mpg, I've got to keep it pretty slow. And that brings me to the next problem- going even 65mph on the freeways here in CA in a 1650 lb car is feeling more and more like attempted suicide. Now that gas is cheap again, every yayhoo in their lifted 4x4 needs to go at least 80, regardless of what other cars might be using the lanes around them.
So I'm pondering what larger cars might be fairly easy to get a really good Cd from. So, are these too steep? I just extended the existing rear window angle ( of a Dodge Intrepid) and then messed around with the tail underside. I'm guessing the sawing and welding wouldn't be THAT bad, and it only extends the overall length of the car around 2 ft.

As near as I can measure, the back window is around 17 degrees which sounds like it might be marginal? I've read a lot of happy boat tail stories, and a few sad ones so I thought I'd pick your more experienced brains for some opinions.
Thanks in advance,
Dan

Last edited by sbdeadelf; 12-05-2009 at 12:19 AM..