View Single Post
Old 12-05-2009, 02:35 AM   #208 (permalink)
thatguitarguy
Master EcoModder

Maroon Ballon - '98 Chrysler Town & Country LXI
90 day: 26.42 mpg (US)

MaEsTRO - '95 Geo Metro 5spd hatch, 3 cyl

I took this picture, not because it was that much snow, but because it was 2 days before Halloween. It is a little out of the ordinary to have that much that early. It has snowed plenty since then.

If you had driven a vehicle with an enclosed wheelwell in these conditions and then parked outside overnite, you would have spent a few hours destroying your wheelwell enclosure because the ice would have been caked completely inside and frozen to the wheel, the tire, the inside of the well, and the wheelskirt and all modifications, and it would take a heat gun to melt the ice in order to even be able to make the vehicle move. A weekly inspection ain't gonna cut it.

I'm not sure why some people want to have some kind of argument with anything someone else says, but I'm not talking about cars getting airborne at 200+ MPH, or any theoretical crap, I'm talking about the real world driving conditions that I personally have to face on a regular basis.

I'm not in any way saying anything negative about Darin's project. I'm very interested in it and I wholeheartedly applaud him. I will take the science that he gathers and apply it to my own project in time. But it will have to be different to be practical for where I live. I know when people are talking about cutting through the snow with a kitchen knife, or checking under their wheelskirts once a week, that they don't live where I live, or drive where I drive.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to thatguitarguy For This Useful Post:
bestclimb (12-21-2009), Frank Lee (12-05-2009), justjohn (01-13-2010), TEiN (12-06-2009)