View Single Post
Old 03-15-2008, 09:40 PM   #23 (permalink)
budomove
EcoModding Lurker

Ze Future Beam - '00 honda insight
90 day: 66.23 mpg (US)
I think ecomodder is where I'd like to call home, because a free insight-devoted site would probably turn into an I-C by default. I think the majority of I-C are kind of unmechanical folks who instead of going to honda-tech for basic mechanical queries, would rather ask a bunch of other people who dont even change their own oil. I-C has many REALLY knowledgable people, and hopefully we could get them over here, since their limited participation over there may be due to the total lack of overall participation, which is perhaps because the scope of the site is very limited.

My only mod are an 80% rad block, and led interior lights, but a block heater is available thru majestic for like 15 bucks i think, and I may do that. I cant do it at home, since I am in an apt building, but at my bosses house in ct, I could. I have been taking the Metro North train on and off to ct, and am trying to phase the insight out of my commuting, so that it is only for weekend excursions to the country.

Sounds like you have done some pretty extensive modding, and it is possible your warm air mod is too hot, have you measured the iat? That might bring you out of the lean burn window, although in general warmer air helps, of course if its too hot it may do the opposite.

I live in nyc, and already use an unlimited metrocard for subways and buses. What I do is I park about 1/2 mile from the highway, and walk 10 minutes, and use a 10 minute bus from where I live to where I park. I could park in front of my house if I wanted, but it cuts into the mpg. I suggest you try and park on a downhill rather than an uphill. Also, be sure to ease up on the throttle on highway uphills if you can, and try coasting more if you don't already. My 86.9mpg commute would have been about 78mpg if I drove the additional 4 miles, and parked if front of my house. I kn ow what you mean about throwing it in 4th for lean burn, it's kind of ironic how that works.

frank

Last edited by budomove; 03-15-2008 at 09:46 PM..