View Single Post
Old 12-05-2009, 02:27 PM   #5 (permalink)
ccrider
EcoModding Lurker

old red taco - '02 toyota tacoma regular cab
90 day: 29.49 mpg (US)
i am glad i found this forum. i have a 2002 tacoma 2.4 4 cylinder 2wd 5 speed regular cab that i am collecting the wood to make a aero cap for shortly. i am currently getting just above 30 mpg. i have been figuring the back angle also and if i make the angle 11 degrees there will be only a 9' drop from the cab to the tail gate. the cab is about 21" so the verticle will be 12". but the caps i am seeing on this forum like the nissan and the ford f150 ones are 5" to nothing verticle at the tailgate. i am trying to figure how high i should make the back?

my truck is in pretty rough shape so i dont mind if it isnt the prettiest thing. i am planning on making it out of wood because of the trade i am in. i am figuring i can make it out of 2 sheets (39lbs) of plywood and 8 8' 2x2's (my guess 40lbs). so i am thinking it will weigh around 80lbs. i am not thinking of making it so i can see through it. if it bothers me i will install a back up camera mounted on the licence plate that can be bought at auto part stores. i am going to make the back panel above the tail gate removable so i can take a few screws out and i will have the height of the tail gate plus maybe about 10" to get in the bed. i also want to be able to remove the cap easily so i am going to try and mount it with some cap clamps from the inside.