View Single Post
Old 12-06-2009, 04:07 PM   #21 (permalink)
Christ
Moderate your Moderation.

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
Bob, I wanted the NiMH modules as direct replacement for the SLA that came on the bike hoping for the benefits of reduced weight/size.

Based on our discussions here, I don't think that I'll be able to achieve those goals without added complexity, but provided the circuit is inexpensive and relatively simple for a novice, I'll humor it.

I'm also thinking that since the bike's electrical system is rated at 6VDC, the battery module could remain somewhere well below the 8V threshold that you point to and still be able to perform it's duties acceptably. I'd be guessing here, but I'd think that 6.5VDC is probably the low-end of the safe SOC spectrum. If you've tested this, care to enlighten?

I know (not know, but have understood from reading) that the NHW20 modules are charged in such a way that they maintain a tight threshold between 50% and 80% SOC, so as not to reduce the life of the pack. Toyota claims that the pack should last the usable life of the vehicle, and I've seen nothing to indicate otherwise using this method.

Is there any way that I can clamp the rectifier's output to under 8V using an inline circuit, or is that what we're working on now?